Monday, July 11, 2011

God is Faithful (to the end)

While here we have had the chance to meet several parents in different stages of grief and suffering. One family I will never forget.

Joseph was burned in a trailer fire while he and his brother were playing with a lighter. He sustained burns and his brain had been deprived of oxygen. His father told me he was brain dead when they arrived but they were waiting on further testing to be sure. The entire time Joseph was here his family bombarded the hospital. Several remarks were made that they were here for the duration. Then late last Tuesday it was determined that he would not survive. The family made the decision to end life support on Joseph.

Joseph was an organ donor so he was kept on life support until all his viable organs could be harvested and sent out to be transplanted into awaiting patients. This type of thing is not uncommon.

What struck us as even more devastating is that when the parents made their decision, they packed up their belongings and went their separate ways leaving Joseph in his room, alone. No one was with Joseph in his final hours. As a parent I could not imagine having to make the first decision nor would I ever think of making the later.

I am so glad that God is not like those parents. When things are at their worst, He is at His best! When my faith is at its lowest, His grace and mercy far excel my comprehension. When I can't carry on, He carries me.

Psalm 100:5 says that "the LORD is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations." God is so much more than I (or even you) deserve. And because He is good, he will never leave us or forsake us.

Joshua 1:9 promises that "the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." I will never find myself in a place where God's mercy and grace didn't get there before me. I will never encounter a problem that He is not there, waiting to help me, if only I will ask.

I said earlier that Joseph died alone. His earthly family had turned their backs and left him. But his Heavenly Father was with him all the time. And when Josephs time was complete, his Father took him home.

WHEW!! Hold my mule......

No comments:

Post a Comment